MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.

2013 I sign a lease agreement commercial property that was

Customer Question

2013 I sign a lease agreement for a commercial property that was in bad shape and pervious was a nail salon. We sign the contract July 1st. I remodeled it into a full service salon/spa. On my own dime. We had many delays out of my control. I did not open til September 13,2013. Which he was fine with and had ask me for no rent. Because we agreed I would not pay till I open.problem number 1* we are now at the end of our lease and he is claiming I own him. Problem 2* during this period he provided me with a storage unit that held remodeling equipment,xrtra spa tools , equipment,furniture and private paperwork. That was given to me by him.(which he does for most of his tenants.He owns a storage facility behind the strip mall) I had a family emergency and left town. He sold my storage. First he claimed it was an accident and later on had admitted he removed my extra flooring and glue cement scraper and an antique ladder. Then it was sold. I was never notified he had any intent to sell the storage. We had not written a contract for the storage. So I am out of my storage contents and he asking me for almost 13000.00 dollars. What can I do.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

As to the additional months he is seeking rent payment for, if you have anything in writing between the two of you where he is acknowledging that he will not charge you rent until you open, then you don't owe him anything and you can send him to pound sand. If you don't have something in writing, it may be a little difficult for you to prove that the agreement existed and he would have a stronger position that rent for those months is owed pursuant to the rent. All you would need is an email, text message, or other form of writing where he is acknowledging the agreement the two of you had.

As to the storage unit, you can sue him for selling your things without your consent. Unfortunately, if you did not have an agreement with him as to the storage unit, you will need to try to establish that there was a verbal contract in place where he allowed you to store your contents in the storage unit. Also, you would need to show that the sold your storage unit with no previous notice to you to empty it, etc. You can sue him for the damages you suffered which would be the amount of the contents that you had stored there.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.