Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

A realtor who owns multiple apartment complexes in a college

Customer Question

A realtor who owns multiple apartment complexes in a college town had all tenants sign a lease for upcoming year in September of 2015 for the school year 2016-2017. A new tenant joins the group of five and the realtor issues a new lease. This tenant backs out before actually moving in, can the realtor legally revert back to the old lease? My granddaughter, who is one of the five, did not sign the revised lease and wants to move. The real estate office says she is bound by the first lease agreement and will be responsible for paying rent for the new school year (2016-2017). Since a new lease was issued, doesn't that make the original lease null and void? Thanks for your answer!
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  philip.simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. There was a lease your daughter signed...then a later lease your daughter did not sign? Is that correct?

And you want to know if they can hold your daughter to the lease she did sign?