LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

Tenant not paying outstanding maintance bills-delinguent

Customer Question

Tenant not paying outstanding maintance bills-delinguent bill so it was paid by landlord so plumber could service property...as describe in State Statue 42-43 notice of ejectment: letter via hand delivery to pay in 10 days. The defendant breached the condition of the lease. Lease is a Verbal agreement. Can I does this and is there another type of recourse before I file for eviction which will Monday July 18th?? Security Deposit of $750.00. Rent runs the 1st of month of $750.00.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear, it was agreed upon that the tenant would pay these type of bills? I ask because if this was a plumbing issue and something that was through no fault of the tenant, the cost typically falls on the landlord/owner?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tenant is responsible.

Thank you. Yes, if the tenant is responsible they would have first needed to be presented with the bill. Then, if they failed to pay when demanded, they would then need to be presented with a notice to cure. If they still refused, then the landlord could proceed with evict. When serving the proper notice, it is sometimes best to 1) have it served by a 3rd party and 2) to send it via certified mail. The reason being is that it can be shown it was received and they were placed on notice. This way they can not say they never knew. Now, if you get the eviction, you can then likely deduct the cost of this from their deposit and return any balance owed, unless there are additional deductions.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer sort clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know.