Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

My lease was up on June 30th. I moved out July 3, 2016. I

Customer Question

Hello, My lease was up on June 30th. I moved out July 3, 2016. I gave forwarding address. I have to Pay Junes rent total $1558.95. I spoke verbally with Manager who know I am paying end of July 30, 2016. My old neighbor sends me a text telling me there is a court order on my old apt door which I never received, but they did send letter itemized showing I owe $1558.95. My question is do I need to show up for court if I am paying by July 30, 2016.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how with this one month late affect my credit
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i live in state of Maryland
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If the court date is after July 30, and you pay before that, the case against you should be dismissed. But you'll want to call the courthouse the day before, just in case. If the landlord doesn't cancel the case after you pay, and you don't go to court, the judge will automatically enter a judgment against you (he won't know that you paid). You should be able to get the judgment removed, but it could be more of a hassle than going to court and showing evidence that you paid. A judgment will also be reported on your credit, and you'll have to get it removed.

How much one late month will affect your credit depends on a variety of factors, including your current credit rating and whether your landlord reports it (many don't). The best way to get an estimate of what a late payment will do is to look at www.creditkarma.com (which is a free service).

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my leased ended. I cleaned the apartment moved out and turned in keys. had the utilities turned off. I realize I am late, I am not sure what to to.

The only thing you need to do at this point is to make the payment.

Or, if you gave a security deposit, they should deduct the late rent from that and you wouldn't have to pay anything.

Did you have any other questions about this?