Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.

I am a commercial tenant in Connecticut, my landlord has

Customer Question

I am a commercial tenant in Connecticut, my landlord has failed to provide me heat, a/c, and hot water in the womens rest room and one sink that runs slightly hot in the mens. These are basic utilities and I want to know should I call police to get him to comply if it has been 7 months
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to answering your question.

This is a civil, not criminal, matter. The police will not intercede with your landlord. You will need to file suit in small claims court to force the landlord to comply with the lease as it provides for landlord's maintenance duties.

Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.