How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 32071
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a commercial tenant in Connecticut, my landlord has

Customer Question

I am a commercial tenant in Connecticut, my landlord has failed to provide me heat, a/c, and hot water in the womens rest room and one sink that runs slightly hot in the mens. These are basic utilities and I want to know should I call police to get him to comply if it has been 7 months
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to answering your question.

This is a civil, not criminal, matter. The police will not intercede with your landlord. You will need to file suit in small claims court to force the landlord to comply with the lease as it provides for landlord's maintenance duties.

Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions