Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I have received R.6:2-1, new jersey, no, yes,

Customer Question

I have received R.6:2-1
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: new jersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have rented this house on July 2015, from a management company, where former landlord authorized.
How ever, The house was sold or possed at the sheriff sale because foreclosure.
I was paying 675$ /month . After the possession I was asked to pay 1800$ which is assumed to be market value.
I have received summon and I have a court date for July 25
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What are my rights and If I do not appear at the court, how long will the eviction take place? How many more days do I have left ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am in the State of New Jersey

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

As to the amount of time involved, in NJ it is a little strange since the time limits can vary slightly as opposed to other states where they are set in stone. In general in NJ it takes about two to three weeks to get a court date as you have seen. Then if you don't show up for court or if the landlord prevails on the merits at court, it usually takes about seven to eight days for the paperwork to be prepared and for the landlord to take the next step and file for a warrant for removal.

When that is filed the sheriff or other officer will go to the residence within a day or two and post the warrant to give you three days after which the sheriff/officer will return to evict you.

At any time during this process a tenant can file for an order to show cause to stop the process for a legitimate reason (ex. you didn't receive notice) or you may request a hardship stay which is not normal and the courts rarely grant the request but if the court did grant the request it would give you another six months before you had to be out.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.