insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.

I currently reside in the state of Maine and have a tenant

Customer Question

I currently reside in the state of Maine and have a tenant who cannot afford any increase in rent . I do not have a lease on this apt. So I need to do the necessary steps to have the tenant leave by August 3, 2016 I do not want to cause any problem's . Thank you
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 3 months ago.

Hi Rena! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

When there is no lease, the occupant is considered an “at will” tenant and treated legally as a month to month tenant. As such, you can terminate this tenancy by giving written notice of at least 30 days pursuant to Me. Rev. Stat. Ann. tit. 14 §§ 6002. If he does not leave voluntarily, under Maine law, you will then need to give a 7-Day Notice to Quit...meaning he must vacate the premises within that period or face formal eviction. Then, if he still has not left, you will have to file a petition for an eviction order. Once that is can have the sheriff evict. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to move his stuff out, change the locks, or take any other means of "self-help" eviction prior to obtaining the eviction order.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Let me know if I can help further or if any of the foregoing is confusing. Thank you!