barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

We rent a house in Shoreline, WA. And we let an old lady

Customer Question

We rent a house in Shoreline, WA. And we let an old lady live in the house. As the day she promised to moved out, she didn't show up. We hire somebody to take all her stuff out of the house. A day later, she return with a police. The police file a case and record our ID information. Will this civilissue become a crime case. And will it affect my record?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Will this civilissue become a crime case. And will it affect my record?

.

This would have been considered an illegal eviction, but it is strictly a civil matter. She can sue you for damages for not properly going through the courts to evict her, but it isn't considered a criminal action. So the only thing she can do is sue you for money damages.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I give you a call and ask more information in details?

I am sorry but I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website. I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

However, if you wish to have a phone call with an attorney, you can post a request for "additional services" and your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it won't affect our records?

If you are sued civilly, and the tenant wins, then it would appear on your credit report and your civil record, but it is not a criminal offense, so wouldnt' show up on any criminal record.

.

So civil record, yes. Criminal record, no.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks