Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I'm in. Spokane to be exact. A landlord is not renewing

Customer Question

I'm in washington. Spokane to be exact. A landlord is not renewing and they won't give a reason why. I have reapplied and they are legally obligated to give a reason after that right. New background everything.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience. I'd like to assist for informational purposes.

Could you clarify so that I can better help you, whether your contract obligates your landlord to renew, or what your contract states on this issue? By contract, I'm also referring to a rental agreement or lease.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. There is no actual obligation to renew. As far as I can tell. I'm not a lawyer though. I could give you a copy if you like.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Six month terms. We were mostly on time with payments. There was one time we were notalking. Also one time we forgot to pay electricity and was late by 2 days. Now 23 month in and still no reason as to why there is no renewal. There is more though. When we first entered the unit three month after tenancy we got a notice to vacate due to us lying on the lease. So they said making it null and void. In fact, we lied about nothing. I spoke of my past convictions of dwls and DUI. It was in the initial application. Then, my lady who is bipolar, was having a mental breakdown due to family crisis; said some things to her mother and called the crisis Center. Apparently, she said enough to want to commit her involuntarily and she went to local hospital to be evaluated but was released the same day. Not sure what happened but I felt maybe she did the right thing by asking for help. Police showed and took her and then the very next day we woke to an eviction notice on the door. Said I had a felony which made us liars and we falsified the information. The notice was for 3 days. I think. We called a lawyer also got a hold of my criminal history and seen that there was a felony that was from when I was 13. It was a 2nd degree assault. A boy was trying to feel my sister up and I defended her. Maybe took it a little far but he was also older. My sister came home crying and shaking scared saying this boy stuck his hand up her shirt and he and another boy held her and she got loose and ran home. Damage was already done and I found them two boys ran and the one stayed. Anyways, the background was only for my benefit. I don't like anyone to think wrongly of me for it. The judge actually commended me in court and said if he had a descent father he may have beat his little ass to high heaven for what he's done. Still he said I was excessive and didn't stop. That moment I learned about the limitations of defending yourself or your family. I plead to a 3rd degree which isn't a felony and served five days in juvenile and 250 hours community service, which was actually fun . I served it at a local kennel helping the local strays. After completion it was supposed to be vacated and be as if never charged. Donto understand now aso deferred I thought were drug and alcohol offenses but I wasn't impaired. Furthermore it was still on my record but soon vacated as I had it figuredone out within a couple days and it was wiped completely and the lawyer said if they use it against you or if they continue it is unlawful as it was not supposed to be there. They were also informed of the matter. They then said we could sTay but it was a long hard stay. Ridiculed every step of the way. One day late and threatened with ano eviction. If we were loud at all and we were at times but only during awake hours. We have 5 kids. Plenty of fun. Good relationships with neighbors. But still they would neglect their repairs. Ones needed like broken sprinklers. Would skip our portion of the lawn when everyone else got their lawn mowed. When everyone else got new bark in their flower beds we got ours removed and none put back. We ended up with yellow grass and the units directly next to us had nice full green grass. There were also no spigot outside to water myself. Plus we would get our clothes stolen from the community laundromat and nothing would be done about it. They would say if left in the machines they were donated the next day. Which is a lie as I've seen many who have had theirs left in laundromat out on the counter. In a big pile. For several days. We would say something about it only in regards ***** ***** mistreatment and unfairness careful not to want their clothes removed as well we would even go around the complex to find the owners. They went this long allowing us to be here and new management is in and this is whay we get. Good tenants. Good neighbors. Many like us. As a matter of fact many are moving because of the situation but also they're experiencing similar things. Funny thing is we are friends with all who are leaving and having problems but a few tenants seem to have no problems and can do no wrong. Never get parking tickets. Sure we don't know that for a fact. But I have watched parking officers ticket ours and pass over unauthorized vehicles of friends of management. Enforcement is employed by landlord just to let you know. Mostly speculation but it's all I've got. What I do have is logs of violations on their part. Maintenance entering home without notification several times seemingly without cause. Just to check up on the place. One time was sitting on couch in living room nude and maintenance entered. I scrambled to cover myself half ass like with a sweater and he was like sorry. Oh just need to check thermostat which is manual and not automated or needing maintenance. The point is there was not proper notice. I called the manager and they said sorry but all were notified. None of the other tenants were visited. Nor was I notified.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous expert has left.

I am afraid that under WA law, the landlord does not have to give the tenant any reason for not renewing or for not approving a lease. The Fair Housing Act and the WA Housing Discrimination Act only say that legally a landlord cannot deny a lease based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin, but they do not say that the landlord has to provide a reason to the tenant for refusing to lease to them or for refusing to renew the lease I am afraid.

So just because you reapplied after being denied a renewal, legally there is nothing in the statute that would mandate they give you a reason for not accepting your new application I am sorry to say. There is no law forcing a landlord to rent to anyone they do not want on their property except on the basis of only age/race/sex/disability/national origin.