Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.

I have a lease that includes a utility fee. Can my landlord

Customer Question

I have a lease that includes a utility fee. Can my landlord start having me charged by an outside utility company for electrical usage?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, a lease is between the landlord and tenant and they are free to agree upon terms that they want to agree upon. So, the landlord can have a utility fee in the lease. The tenant can also be made to pay for their utilities from whatever company the landlord chooses to use. This is all based on the terms in the lease. So, yes, if the landlord has these terms in the lease, they are allowed to do so.