CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.

My apartment was damage from a flood last Friday July 1 2016

Customer Question

Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

Can you please tell me what your legal question is so that I can better assist you today?

(Things such as:

• The state where the property is located
  • What caused the flood
  • What type of problem you are having that you need information on

Can all help me better answer your question).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I live in buena vista close to vineland new jersey and my house was completely destroy by the flood losted everything I had and my landlord is not responding to fixing the place and me and my family is in need of a place to stay and I was told by red cross that he is supposed to help us on a place and fix the apartment up and make sure that the water damage didn't get into the wall's because that can cause mold and we all can get sick
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I called code enforcement many times
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They never came out
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It rained on Friday and the water got into my home

Dear Customer,

For your immediate concerns, have you contacted the NJ Office of Emergency Services: (they have a resource center set up to help manage this matter).

Regarding long term issues with your landlord, etc. that is a little more complicated (I don't know if you are even concerned about that at this point, but you do not need to pay rent for a property that is uninhabitable due to matters beyond your control - you are unable to live there due to the flooding).