Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am renting a house in manatee country, fl on a month to

Customer Question

I am renting a house in manatee country, fl on a month to month rental (30 days, 6/25-7/25). The owner told me I could extend rent on a month to month basis as long as I want, as I am house hunting. Just recently the owner now states I have to be out by 8/1/16 as he has an "annual" renter. This is not what we agreed to verbally, and we do not have a lease agreement. What rights do I have?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Roger - thanks. Do you need any additional info?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
If you're a month to month tenant, the landlord is only required to give you a 15 day notice. So, even if he agreed to this initially, it is possible for the landlord to change.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Roger - I found the 15 day notice in Floriday statute as well. However, since I am already residing in the property (my family of 4 has relocated), if I continue to pay rent can he evict? I'm willing to pay, that's not the issue and rent is $3,000/month.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately, when there's no written agreement in place, you're really at the mercy of the landlord and the notice requirements of state law.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Roger - I found the 15 day notice in Floriday statute as well. However, since I am already residing in the property (my family of 4 has relocated), if I continue to pay rent can he evict? I'm willing to pay, that's not the issue and rent is $3,000/month
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
If you pay rent, and the landlord accepts it, then you should be able to stay. But, if the landlord refuses, then there's not much you can do.