RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I've been living here 16 yrs. my landlord want to enter

Customer Question

I've been living here for over 16 yrs. my landlord want to enter premises you inspect. I would like to delay that for a week so I can straighten up and make it presentable. What can I do? Thank you
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Under NY law, a landlord may enter a tenant's home without consent upon "reasonable" notice of time and place given. While the term reasonable isn't defined, a minimum of 24 hours notice (and more if possible) is generally considered reasonable. Additionally a landlord should enter during normal business hours (M-F, 8:00-6:00) unless a tenant agrees otherwise.

From a legal standpoint, that really doesn't leave you with options, to be honest -you can certainly speak to the landlord and ask that they give you a few days before they inspect so that you can straighten up a bit, noting that you've been there 16 years and never been a problem tenant, and hope that they will honor your request, but the landlord is not under any obligation to accept it -it is just that, a request.

Really I doubt the landlord is going to care if your home is a little out of order. I am sure as a long term tenant you recognize that the landlord has entrusted a serious portion of his net worth to him for use as his residence. Even if there are no obvious repairs, it is important for a landlord to view his property from time to time, perhaps to do occasional routine maintenance that might not be obvious, or even just to ensure that there are no small problems that threaten to become large ones if not tended to early on. They're not looking at your dishes in the sink or your clothes that need to be folded and put away -they just want to ensure you have no issues that will impede upon your enjoyment of the property and that any minor maintenance issues (if any) don't become bigger ones.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you!

Was there anything I could clarify about my answer or additional information you needed?