Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.

Renters changed the phone # on the utilities bill.(bill was

Customer Question

Renters changed the phone # ***** the utilities bill.(bill was still in my name).can I pursue criminal charges?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they misrepresented themselves as you and changed only the phone number, then it could be deemed identity theft and it is something you could file with your local district attorney. It is solely up to the district attorney whether or not to pursue charges, but you can still file a civil suit and seek to evict them for breaching your lease for doing so (of course you would have to give them 30 day notice to leave based on this breach of the lease and then sue for eviction).