barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years

I have a property and somebody threw a brick through the

Customer Question

I have a property for rent and somebody threw a brick through the front window and the women who lives there thinks was her ex-boyfriend but she don't have proof that he did it. she doesn't want to replace the window, she said that she is not responsible for the damage that she would be responsible if she caused the damage or her children or her guests.
can she be responsible for the damage ?
can I give her a 30 day notice to move out?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

First let me say that in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years... With that said, unless you can tie this to the tenant or one of their guests, then you can't hold the tenant liable for the criminal actions of a third party.

This has happened to me occasionally over the years and a judge won't hold the tenant liable unless you can prove they or their guest caused the damages..

And if she is not under a written fixed term lease, then typically you can terminate her tenancy with a 30 day written notice to terminate and then evict her through the courts if she doesn't voluntarily vacate.

If you can tell me what state you are in, I can tell you for sure..