Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

We are renting and apt. and we just found out that the

Customer Question

we are renting and apt. and we just found out that the landlord lied, and she is being forclosed on, house will be sold on oct. 21st 2016, on courthouse steps, she still wants us to pay rent, be we were also told it was illegal for her to rent us apt. because of the forclosure. we are not sure what to do about the rent because we need out of this apt. by end of sept 2016. also if we leave apt. and we dont pay rent can she lock us out??? please advise
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Foreclosure laws are different in every state. What state are you in? Also, did you sign a lease for a set term or is it month to month?