Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I been in my new apartment complex now. Since day one I have

Customer Question

I been in my new apartment complex for 2months now. Since day one I have been complaining weekly on a particular vehicle parking in my reserve spot or double parkiing to where i have little room to get in or out my vehicle. All I kept getting was "we dont know who car it is" or "we will take car of it". It was I was given a towing sticker on her windshield that drama started. (FYI there are towing signs around but the towing company will only tow after speaking to an office representative so after 6pm your screwed). A week later I had a sticker placed on my window for parking in my own spot. More complaints came from me and I placed a 2nd sticker on her car. I Got so fed up I emailed my leasing office a picture of a vacant spot I would like to switch to just so she can have that spot and avoid retaliation on my property. I was told "NO". 3 weeks later between the hours of 4am and 7am my vehicle was egged with a letter attached. Part of the letter has me thinking the person is going to come back a second time since I tagged her car twice. I dont feel comfortable staying here....especially after im paying $1400/month. Can I get out my lease since i was turned away to avoid all this from happening or what can I do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

This is Samuel. I suggest, yes, you have a basis for terminating the lease early without consequence. You made the complaints, you are paying for the spot and the management did nothing to assist and you also now have been a victim of a crime.

I suggest you can write the management and tell them that you are terminating your lease because you do not want to live in a crime area. That you made a request that was ignored so that this would not escalate to a crime, and yet they did nothing. Due to their negligence in enforcing the rules and regulations, and not allowing you to move to another spot they have participate in making you a crime victim.

Mail that letter with a copy of the photos certified mail with return receipt. I suggest you should be sure you want to move and if that is the case, give a date of termination and tell them you will be expecting your security deposit to be returned in full. In the letter, try to detail the dates that you had contact with the management about the parking space, and the date you made the request to move, the dates the other car was tagged and the date yours was vandalized.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

It can reach a lawsuit level by them saying you breached your lease and they are not returning the security deposit, but you have the details of the situation and it is their negligence that has caused this escalation making you a crime victim.

BTW, what did they say about the vandalism?

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

I am signing off for the night. Please give a positive rating as that is how I get credit for the time providing you information. Once you rate positive you can still ask follow up questions. Thank you.