Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

My daughter signed a lease with an apartment. She wanted to

Customer Question

My daughter signed a lease with an apartment. She wanted to move to a different apartment so she asked the renter to find someone else. The renter found someone else and sent this message
"I am not sure if you’ve heard yet, but your apartment has rented!!! There will be 2 guys taking the lease so neither of you are obligated to live there. I am VERY glad that this has worked out."
My daughter then rented a different apartment. Later the renter said that due to some issue the apartment was not rented to the guys. By now she had already signed the other lease. Now the renter is asking her to pay full year rent.
What can we do? Can we file a lawsuit against them? I feel that my daughter is not obliged to pay anything. She is under lot of stess.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. What do you want to sue them for? Do you mean you do not want her to have to pay the rent for the rest of the year?

Hi, are you still with me?