insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
17027240

I live in a camper where I rent a lot from my landlord.

Customer Question

I live in a camper where I rent a lot from my landlord. There are about 50 lots that are on-site and rented. My power bill is my issue. Each lot is metered separately and we are billed by the landlord and they are billed by Ga Power. In my lease, it states that each tenant is to pay electricity at the prevailing rate of KW/hr set by Ga Power. My power bill this month says that I used 937KWs and the rate according to Ga Power is .056582 for power up to 650kw/h and then .09393 for 213kw/h which the total is about $90, my landlord is charging me $294.88. Are they legally able to do this?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 5 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

No, the landlord cannot do this legally. It's a breach of contract on the landlord's part. If the landlord will not voluntarily refund your money, file suit against the landlord in small claims court..you can do this without a lawyer. Filing the suit will give you the collection options and leverage you need to collect the debt owed you. That's because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if he doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on him for a debtor examination. That forces him to meet you in court again and answer questions under oath about his assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property he owns to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!