Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.
26296561

My husband and I received a letter in the mail today from

Customer Question

My husband and I received a letter in the mail today from the real estate agency we rent from. We signed the lease last September 2, 2015. They are terminating the lease as of September 30, 2016. There is no explanation as to why. The Amish Couple who own the home we are renting are incredibly sweet and we all get along very well.My Service Dog passed away in April. I called and reported she had passed away and had adopted another that would be trained as my new service dog. My 21 year old daughter and 10 month old granddaughter live with us as well and they are on the lease as well.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What state are you in?

Do you have a written lease and if you do, when does it expire?

What is your legal question about the situation you have described?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pennsylvania. Yes, we have a written lease. Starting date September 3, 2015, Ending on September 30, 2016There is no explaination as to why they are not renewing the lease.

Thank you for your follow up.

Does your written lease contain any renewal option, which would give you the right to renew the lease?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there is 73.00 in our checking account and my husband doesn't get paid until Thursday.

We can continue communicating through JustAnswer.com website.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The renewal term states: Unless checked below, this Lease will AUTOMATICALLY RENEW for a renewal term of month to month. The box below the statement is not checked.

Thank you for your for you follow up.

Unfortunately, generally, if the lease doesn't have a renewal option, then the landlord can in fact, legally provide a non-renewal notice prior to the expiration of the lease term, without providing any reason for termination and unfortunately, if such termination is given by the landlord or landlord's agent (such as management company) unfortunately, the tenant would not have any type of legal recourse, other than to vacate the rental house upon the expiration of the lease or to attempt to contact management company or landlord to see if a renewal can be negotiated.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.