Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I paid rent and the landlord accepted rent and then filed an

Customer Question

I paid rent and the landlord accepted rent and then filed an unlawful detainer suit against me/
JA: When it comes to landlord-tenant issues, accurate information is key. Fortunately, the attorneys you'll meet here have a lot of experience with this, and it would be my pleasure to match you with the best fit.
Customer: I just got back from court and I lost my case and they got a judgement against me for 1800 dollars and then handed me back my rent
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: is that even legal?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: that their lawyer this the mayor of our city and I was served with a 3 day notice and the landlord did accept rent after that notice expired.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in? (CA?)

.

Did you point out to the judge that you paid and the landlord accepted the rent?

.

How did you pay the rent...did you mail it to the landlord or physically hand it to him?

.

Have you filed an appeal of the unlawful detainer judgment?

.

.

thanks