barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Roommate moved out and took some of my things.what can i do?

Customer Question

roommate moved out and took some of my things.what can i do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you have called the police and they won't assist or at least take down a police report about the stolen items, then your next recourse is to file a small claims action against the roommate for "conversion" which is the wrongful keeping of the property of another and for "replevin" which is its return.

.

The judge can then order the roommate to either return the property or to pay you for its value once you have proven your case.

.

You don't need an attorney to file suit and the limit is $10,000. The clerk will have the summons and complaint forms that you need to fill out to file the case against the roommate.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what if they say they didnt take it

Then you have to prove somehow that they did.. That is the problem with proving a case when you don't have any concrete evidence like witnesses, video, pictures, etc. You have to convince the judge with your testimony that the other person took your personal property and refuses to return it.

.

thanks