LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

Can a landlord break a lease in ohio if he wants to sell the

Customer Question

can a landlord break a lease in ohio if he wants to sell the property
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good evening Bruce,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under Ohio law, the lease survives the sale of the property. This means that a landlord cannot break a lease just because they wish to sell the property. They can only sell what legal rights they have in the property and the lease limits those rights. The buyer would become the new landlord under the terms of the lease and would not be able to force the tenant out until the end of the lease---unless the tenant violated the terms of the lease by---for example---not paying rent.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug