RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I have 2 adult children that I have asked to leave my home.

Customer Question

I have 2 adult children that I have asked to leave my home . They do not pay rent and they have been very disrespectful. They have refused to leave and told me I need to give them a 30 day eviction notice . With all the research I have done I don't think I need to do that can you please advise me
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Pa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: They do not pay any rent
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

You are correct- if they have never paid rent or there is no agreement to say do household maintenance/chores in exchange for room and board, they're trespassing by refusing to leave. You can call the police and have them removed. If they are abusive to you or have threatened you and you fear for your safety, you could also seek a restraining order.

The issue that often arises in these situations is that even when you call the police and try to have trespassers removed, the police will tell you it is a civil matter and refuse to get involved. In that case, you'd have to treat them the same as a month to month tenant - first giving a 30 day "Notice to quit" the premises, and if they refuse to leave at that point, suing them in court for eviction. Once you have a court ordered eviction (which is essentially a piece of paper) the police will put them out if they still refuse to leave.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you!

Did you need any follow-up information or clarification about my answer?

Following up with you to see if I can help further?

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you!