Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

In May the water company came out and said my meter was

Customer Question

In May the water company came out and said my meter was broke. They fixed it. A month later they sent me bills for over $1400. They said my meter was broke since September 2013. I had no idea. Do I have to pay?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Technically, yes, if they can prove that you actually owe the money and prove how much water that was used and not paid for, you have to pay it. However, if their meter was broken and they never came out and checked the meter during all that time and now want to charge you, then you have grounds to appeal the bill. You will need to contact a supervisor there and complain that their meter caused the problem and get them to waive or reduce the bill. If the supervisor refuses, your only remaining recourse is you can sue the water company for negligence in failure to properly maintain their own meters and causing you damage.