rayanswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant

If your landlord lives out of state can they withhold the

Customer Question

If your landlord lives out of state can they withhold the cost of their hotel and rental car fees from your security deposit while the come to town to inspect property upon lease termination?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

No they cannot .You should demand the whole deposit and file in small claims if you have too.This is strictly a damages deposit or back rent, here if you have paid your rent and the premises are clean you should get all of your deposit back.No hotel and rental car fees here, you are being robbed by the landlord.You have rights to sue here in small claims court for the amount the landlord is withholding and you are owed here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is also my understanding that the landlord needs to furnish receipts for each repair made correct?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The only thing I received in the mail was a hand written list of charges and "a personal note from the landlord"

Yes you need to respond here and ask for copies of receipts here.That's reasonable documentation for what they spent here.And no hotel and rent cars, that's ridiculous.You sue here if you have too,I can understand your frustration in all of this.

Thanks for the follow up.