CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.

I live in a co-op Admittedly my apt smelled of cat urine. i

Customer Question

i live in a co-op Admittedly my apt smelled of cat urine. i did everything stanely steamer and finally got new carpeting. the vestibule smells and the management will not come up to smell my odorless apt. i have witnesses . they have sent security reports to a lawyer. am i responsible for the vestibule which is shared and belongs to the co-op
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

The only reason that you would be responsible for the vestibule would be if the cause of the odor was directly related (proximately caused) by your conduct.

So if the vestibule smelled of cat urine due to your cats (perhaps due to longstanding urine smell in the carpets that emanated into the vestibule), then you would be responsible for the cost of cleaning/remediation necessary to return the vestibule to the condition it was prior to this odor.

But if the smell is unrelated to your conduct, then you would not be responsible.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I thank you very much for your help. If my co-op has proof of the odor in the vestibule and sent it to a lawyer do i still have a chance to rectify the situation>?

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service (the series of 5 stars next to the chat window) so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.