Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I am in receipt of a 3 day notice to pay rent from my

Customer Question

I am in receipt of a 3 day notice to pay rent from my landlord. What if I do not pay the rent owed within 3 days, what if I cannot pay it until Friday, and the amount owed is due today?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If you cannot pay the rent within the 3 day period, the landlord has the right to proceed with filing an eviction action against you at that point. That said, you'd have the right to remain in the property until the judge orders the eviction through court (which usually takes 30 days or so)........However, if you can pay Friday, you should tell your landlord just that and ask if he/she will give you until then. USUALLY, the landlord will agree to such a short extension.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, what if she does not agree, and she starts the eviction process which you said can take up to 30 days, then I am paid up, can I still be evicted of I do not owe anything
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

That's really up to the landlord......if she wants to accept your money and let you stay, she can.....but she can also refuse your money and proceed with the eviction.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If she files for eviction does it have to go before a judge
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

Yes, it will.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

The best thing you can do is go to your landlord and try to get something worked out that will allow you through the end of the week to pay rent and avoid the eviction.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!