MDLawyer
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
16277701

Our apartment rental check was usually written by my husband

Customer Question

Our apartment rental check was usually written by my husband who passed away in Feb this year. I've been paying for our rent stabilized apartment since he died, never actually looking at the bill. (We've lived here since 1978), two landlords ever since)
I notice that the statement includes a monthly fee of $49.28 'Additional Security'. Can you please tell me what that's all about? We made a security deposit from the start and I never knew the landlord can keep adding more security fees.
This month I'm also charged another $47.79 'Late Charge' but not sure why. I try to pay as soon as I get the bill, which is usually placed on our front door between door and door jamb. Sometimes I find the bill on the hallway floor. know I've paid on time, but too much on my mind to make a big deal about it.
My question is really about the additional security. Can you tell me if that is a legal charge? I live in the Norwood section of the Bronx if that makes any difference.
Thank you for your help. Carmen Corrigan
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you Carmen for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. (I'm born and raised in NYC!) First, I am sorry to hear about your loss. To answer your question, I need to first know what the additional security is for. Is it an additional security deposit or is it for additional security in the home? What did the landlord tell you that the charge was for when you asked? Also, when was your last renewal and is there language in the lease about an additional charge? (You can often find this in any addendums to the lease).

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not read the information on the lease as my husband used to do that. I will check that out in a few moments. Will there be another charge for continuing our conversation?
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 5 months ago.

No, there is no additional charge and you do not get charged until we have finished our conversation and you have left me a positive rating.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if you still need assistance.