KJLLAW
KJLLAW, Other
Experience:  I have over 20 years of experience in commercial real estate law, finance, consumer credit, landlord tenant, and business law.
92128996

I have a signed 2 year lease with the landlord 2015 to May

Customer Question

I have a signed 2 year lease with the landlord for May 2015 to May 2017 at $850.00, when they came to collect rent for June they handed me another lease starting July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017 with an increase of $100.00 can they do this since I have a 2 year lease at a rate of $850.00, I do see one sentence in the lease that says Rents may be increased periodically. What does that mean and how do I know she won't try to raise it again before the lease is over in June of 2017. Just need to understand.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. Once you signed the lease the landlord cannot change the rent or the expiration. The lease is a contractual agreement between you and the landlord and cannot be modified, unless you agree. The first lease is controlling and the rent is legally $850.00 month until July 2017. I hope this helps.
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 5 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask. If not, please rate the question so that I receive credit for the answer.

Expert:  KJLLAW replied 5 months ago.

Expert:  KJLLAW replied 5 months ago.