Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

On June 6, 2016, my twin 30 year old daughters applied

Customer Question

On June 6, 2016, my twin 30 year old daughters applied for an apartment at Oakridge Apartments, St. Louis Park. The apartments are owned by Sela Investments. The leasing agent was John Hammond. A $40.00 fee for each girl was provided for history and records search. In addition, a$500.00 deposit fee was provided. My daughters were told that they would find out if they were accepted or not in 3 - 5 days. It wasn't until June 16, 2016 that they were told that they were accepted. However, they were told that their apartment was already taken by someone else.
However, John Hammond told Lisa and Michelle to contact Renee Maddox at Cedar Ridge Apartments. He said that he knew that there was an apartment available by their required move-in date of July 1, 2016. Lisa and Michelle tried to contact Renee but the office was closed on 17 - 18 June due to some emergency. On 21 June, my daughters visited Renee at her office. Renee said that she needed time to get documents ready. The next day Renee called and said the papers were ready to be signed. Lisa and Michelle went to Renee's office and signed the prerelease deposit agreement and other papers. Renee stated that the apartment was being remodeled and probably would not be available until the end of June but definitely by 1 July. So my daughters left the rental office believing that they finally had an apartment for 1 July. The $500.00 deposit check was cashed about 24 June.
On June 27, Renee called and spoke to my daughter Lisa. She told Lisa that the apartment was already leased by another leasing agent and she just found out about it. However, she told Lisa not to worry that there was a two bedroom apartment at Knollwood in Hopkins MN available by the 1 July date. When I heard that Renee talked to Lisa, I called Renee. Renee told me that I should talk to Tina at their corporate office and maybe she could find an apartment. Renee apologized and said it was a waste of time but also it was a waste of time for her doing the paperwork. I tried to get in contact with Tina but it was too late in the day.
I believe that Sela Investments does not meet equal housing requirements based on my daughters' experiences. Can you tell me with whom my daughters could file a complaint?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 5 months ago.
Hello.
Reviewing your question now.
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved!
martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know.