barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I leave on the second floor of a duplex, a new tenant moved

Customer Question

I leave on the second floor of a duplex, a new tenant moved in last Friday, my landlord and I had a shouting match in regards ***** ***** my trash should go. I explained to my landlord that when I put my trash on my balcony that I don't kit is a cat or something that get into the trash. my lease is up in December. however from the time this new tenant moved on the first floor. my landlord and I have been going through it. my landlord said to me if I didn't want to comply with how things are ran around here then I should move on. now last night my daughter, the baby and my son in law came over to have some dinner and then we played card. my daughter and I went to the store we came back. we went into my duplex some my daughter could get the baby and husband. we came back outside and the tenant was standing in her door telling me she has been up since 6am. I asked her what was the problem and she said the walking back and forth across the floor. my landlord wanted to have a meeting at hid office to discuss this trash issue and I refused to go because there were some things in my place that he said he would fix but did not now this new tenant keeps knocking at my door for any type of noise. this morning I reached out to the landlord only to find out that they sent me a letter. now if this letter states in anyway that they feel I should move on, are they entitled to retain my last months rent and my security deposit if they asked me to move out. I don't think that because someone is renting from you. the landlord can speak to you any kind of way they want to. where is that written down in the tenant hand book that states I talk and you just keep giving me your rent and shout up.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If there is nothing in the lease specifically about how trash is to be handled or placed in a specific area then you can put it wherever you need to prior to it being picked up on trash day as long as you aren't creating a sanitation issue by leaving it out..

.

And as long as you are just using the property normally when you are walking back and forth (i.e. no clogging or doing jumping jacks...) then if the floors creak, that is something the tenant should take up with the landlord.

.

now if this letter states in anyway that they feel I should move on, are they entitled to retain my last months rent and my security deposit if they asked me to move out.

.

No, as long as you aren't breaking the lease in any way, the landlord can't terminate your lease and force you to move. If you agreed to move out with the landlord, then they have to refund any prepaid rent and any security deposit as long as there arent' any damages or cleaning that is necessary when you moved out.

.

.

thanks