KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of real estate experience including foreclosures, landlord tenant matters, residential sales and condo/coop matters.
8989662

I.have an agreement with my Landlord to keep my Salon and

Customer Question

I.have an agreement with my Landlord to keep my Salon and SPA equipment in place to try and sell the business as a whole. I have been unable to do so, so I am starting to sell in pieces. When I went to the Salon to show an interested party I found the locks had been changed, and I was unable to enter the building. I placed a call to my Landlord and h said he would meet me there. When he arrived he said I no longer can enter unless I make arrangements with him. I have called both my Landlord and his Lawyer on numerous occasions to make an appointment to enter and no one is answering my calls. I have thousands of dollars in equipment in the Salon. What do I Do to gain access!
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Do you have the agreement in writing about leaving your equipment?

Sounds like you landlord decided to just take it.

Have you paid any rent currently?

Thanks

Kim

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
have in writing. Had been paying but disagree on amount owed. I also need to sell property to pay

Sorry I can't do a phone call right now, I am in a shared work space.

Can you please tell me if you have a current lease, or has it expired?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a current lease

Ok if you have a current lease, even if you haven't made a payment for this month, the landlord can't just lock the doors. You have the right to sell your equipment unless you have given it to the landlord in writing.

So at this point, I would immediately send a letter to the landlord by certified mail, so you have proof, stating that you demand entry within 24 hours of their receipt of the letter. It's important to get everything in writing from now going forward in case you end up in court.

The next step is you could try the police, and show them your lease, but they sometimes don't get involved saying it is a civil matter. I tend to disagree. I think if you get locked out of your property by the landlord the police should let you in.

Another option is to have a locksmith open the door for you, again have the lease on you to show him. Then just go in and get all your equipment and leave.

Of course you can go to court, but that isn't going to be as quick, so I would consider that only if your other options are gone.

You may also try just showing up at the attorney's office and insisting on access. You don't deserve for them to treat you this way and you need to be firm (but calm) and direct with them. Insist on access.

Let me know if you have any questions. If not, best of luck.

Kim

Hi there,

I am the attorney who discussed your legal matter with you yesterday.

I see that this question is still open. Please go ahead and close the question, with positive feedback, to ensure that the system does not keep your deposit, and that I get paid for my work with you.

Thank you!

Kim

Hello again.

Please close the question with positive feedback so that I get paid for my work with you.

Thank you!

Kim