Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

My landlord did not change carpeting during the twenty 20

Customer Question

My landlord did not change carpeting during the twenty 20 years while living in his apartment. After leaving he wrote some derogatory on my credit report because I left four working air conditioners and a working piggy back washer and dryer which increased the value of the apartment immensely. Yet, he wants to charge me over $ 300.00 to remove what I left behind. When I moved in 20 years ago there were no air con. or washer and dryer. I was told that owners had to change the carpet every five years. Can he not be fined for this ? And can I also report him to anyone to ruin his credit ? IN short, what can I do ?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I was told that owners had to change the carpet every five years. Can he not be fined for this ? And can I also report him to anyone to ruin his credit ? IN short, what can I do ?

.

This is what is called an "urban legend". It is something that people think it true, but it is not. There is no law anywhere that states a landlord has to change the carpets every 5 years. Where this comes from is the generally applied principle that carpets depreciate over a 5 year lifespan. So after 5 years, a carpet has no depreciable value left and even if the tenant destroys it, they can't be charged for it.

.

So unfortunately, if you left your personal property in the dwelling, even if you thought it improved it, the landlord can charge you for removing and disposing of it.

.

He is being kind of a jerk in doing so after 20 years, but legally he has that right.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience,even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Barrister! I appreciate your help however that is not the answer I want. Would you mind Opt out of my question page? Thank you for your time..

No worries, I am sorry I can't tell you what you want to hear, but the law isn't like that...

.

I will opt out and open up the question so other experts can comment if they want to..

.

.

thanks

Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; and (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier.

1. The 4 A/C units that you left behind, were they installed with his approval? Did the lease call for the same?

2. Are the a/c units fixtures or could they have been removed without damage to the apartment?

3. Why did you leave the washer and dryer unit behind?

4. What State is the apartment located in?

5. Did you ever make written demands during the lease to have the carpet changed? If so, what response?