KJLLAW
KJLLAW, Other
Experience:  I have over 20 years of experience in commercial real estate law, finance, consumer credit, landlord tenant, and business law.
92128996

Bed bugs in apartment, beach ca, No, This has been going on

Customer Question

Bed bugs in apartment
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Long beach ca
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: This has been going on since i moved in in march. At first the landlord said fleas.her pest guy came oyt 3 times and said there were none
JA: When it comes to landlord-tenant issues, accurate information is key. Fortunately, the attorneys you'll meet here have a lot of experience with this, and it would be my pleasure to match you with the best fit.
Customer: I had them in a bag
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. What state and city are you located?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Long beach ca
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 1 year ago.
Under California law a landlord has a duty to provide habitable premises to you as a renter.
Under California Civil Code 1953, a tenant cannot be required to waive the landlord's duty of habitability, regardless of whether the purported waiver is incorporated in the rental agreement.
California Civil Code section 1941.1 includes rental premises free from rodents and vermin within the landlord's duty of habitability. Bedbugs fall squarely within the definition of vermin.
Since you noticed the infestation and did not delay in reporting it, you can't be somehow held responsible for the infestation.
Given the landlord's response to your complaint, that there are not bedbugs, make sure you have a written complaint to document that you met your duty of notice. In the same notification, request that the landlord honor its duty to promptly remedy the infestation.
Under California law you can withhold rent and file a claim with the court or request mediation based upon the landlord's failure to remediation and remove the bedbugs.
I hope this helps.
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 12 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask. If not please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you don't rate the question, I will not get credit for my work.

Expert:  KJLLAW replied 12 months ago.

Expert:  KJLLAW replied 12 months ago.