insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.

My son moved into an apartment in Pennsylvania it is

Customer Question

My son moved into an apartment in Pennsylvania it is condemmable in my opinion and im on the hook for it. I live in Chicago and have never been there. I just got pictures, its mouse infested, filthy, moldy with broken appliances and missing cabinet doors and $2,300 per month! Plus the 5k security deposit. The pictures I originally saw cannot be of this unit. They were on line but are down now. What can I do to get him out of it. His allergies will kill him in this rat trap! I never physically signed the lease. They just took our information.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

First, if you never signed anything, then you have no liability even if they took your information. With regard to your son, when did he move in?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He moved his stuff in over the weekend, However he is living in NY for the summer, he's doing an internship. When he signed the lease, he was a minor that's why they took parent info plus they are kids and don't have jobs. It's all students of Villanova University living there. He sent me pictures and I had to cry. It is disgusting.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried to get out of it once before when I found out it was a 5k security and they said that i didn't have to physically sign to be liable in PA.

You absolutely do have a right to terminate and receive all your money back. You have grounds to rescind or break the lease based on one or more of the following: i) the property was not acceptable; for example, if the property was misrepresented as being something it is not or having something it does not have, you may declare a rescission of the contract; and/or ii) if the property had significant defects or other problems, you may also declare a rescission. Your situation essentially satisfies both these elements. A valid rescission will terminate your obligations under the contract. You will need to set forth the grounds in a written notice of rescission to the landlord and return the keys as soon as possible. If your money is not refunded voluntarily, file suit against the landlord. Let the landlord know that if you are forced to file this suit, you will be asking not only for the refund of your money, but also punitive damages for withholding what is due you in bad faith. And, that if he files any negative report against you, you will be adding a cause of action for defamation.