LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.

At this time a situation where this person wants me to move.

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** at this time a situation where this person wants me to move . It is a roommate slash girlfriend and the problem is after I started paying bills and putting money into the house now all of a sudden 3 months later I'm asked to leave . Before I moved in I had my mail transferred to a friend's house but she stated that since I'm here to have my mail come here so now my back is up against the wall and I really do not know what to do . Also I have read receipts as well as receipts for lights and gas so I really don't understand it also for providing food for me her and my son .
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good morning Darrel,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You cannot simply be asked to leave. You are a lawful tenant and you have rights. While you do not have a legal right to stay as long as you want because you are not the owner of the property or the leaseholder, you are nevertheless a legal tenant and you must be given a written 30 day notice on termination of your tenancy and then if you are not out by the end of the 30 days, your roommate would have to sue in court to have to evicted.

However, you cannot simply be told (verbally) to leave. You have no obligation to leave immediately under that circumstance.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,