Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I am a renter in a suburb in Illinois. My landlord sent a

Customer Question

I am a renter in a suburb in Illinois. My landlord sent a letter to me to give 60 days notice to them of my intentions to renew. I received it 10 days before my decision is due. Then they want to enter my apartment within 5 days to inspect the apartment after giving them notice to vacate. What are my rights as a tennant? Gloria
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i would be happy to help you with your question. If you give me a minute i will have an answer for you.

Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

So the letter said 60 days to let them know and they give it to you 10 days before the 60 days was up?

Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

Is your lease month to month or year to year?

Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

To answer your second question, yes your landlord is permitted to enter your property if he gives you notice.

Expert:  Taylor replied 5 months ago.

In most situations your landlord does not need to give you a reason (although acting on discriminatory or retaliatory motives is illegal). A landlord can simply give you a written notice to move, allowing you 30 days as required by Illinois law and specifying the date on which your tenancy will end.