barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years

I have been a resident of Cricket Ridge Apartments in Holt,

Customer Question

I have been a resident of Cricket Ridge Apartments in Holt, MI for 8 years.
Part of the agreement that I live here was I would clean apartments and $200 a month would be taken off the rent.
I agreed to this and cleaned apartments.
These would be handled by the maintenance department.
I cleaned several with no issue.
I cleaned them for a couple years and things were fine as we were given 2 weeks notice to clean
Then they decided to call us and giving us two days notice.
We would get there and the apartments were not properly prepped for cleaning.
This was communicated to the management that this was unacceptable in order for the apartments to be properly cleaned.
Then the calls have stopped for the last 4 years.
Suddenly today, June 20, I received a note on my door the says the following:
Dear Jodi,
When we originated a lease for your unit it was with the understanding that you and Jonda ( my sister) would clean units for us to make up for the difference in rent. That hasn't happened in a long time. We have been losing $200 a month on your unit for quite a while. I'm sorry, but we can no longer absorb that kind of loss any further. I have held off on sending you this letter so that so that you could get Brianna ( my daughter) through High School without disrupting her home. Starting July first we are going to have to raise your rent up to current market rate of $835. Please contact us with you decision of continuing on or we will give you 30 days to secure other accommodations.
Tom BondarenkoIs this legal?
I have never missed or been late on my rent either
What can I do ?
I was not given a lease last year
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

If you aren't under a written fixed term lease, then you are legally considered a month to month tenant and the landlord can change the terms of the tenancy agreement with a one month written notice under Michigan law (Mich. Comp. Laws § 554.134)

So if they haven't given you a written notice at least one month long, it is not legally effective to increase the rent.

They would have to give you a notice that gives you at least until Aug 1 if you rent is due on the 1st since the notice requirement requires one month from the date rent is due.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...