Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I am in La Plata County, Colorado. I am renting an expensive

Customer Question

Hi - I am in La Plata County, Colorado. I am renting an expensive townhouse and my air conditioning was out. I informed the management company (AREM) over tow weeks ago. They got a bid from a repair company but the owner "didn't like it" so they got another. The guy who did that bid turned it in last week. I called AREM (again) this morning but have not received a call back.
My question: Since I have been living in an unlivable house for nearly 3 weeks, what are my options? I have been paying full rent and am due to pay it again in a few days and I have no idea when they will be fixing the air conditioning. It is over 90 degrees upstairs. It is bad enough on me but worse on my 13 year old dog. The repair is apparently very expensive (over $3000). I would be willing to pay it and be reimbursed but AREM says no to that. What can I do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

A few minutes please as I look into this.

Is there any provision in the lease stating who is responsible for the a/c unit?