Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

Continuing this saga, I have paid rent until June 30th. I

Customer Question

Continuing this saga, I have paid rent until June 30th. I was out for few days and my room mate has moved out all my stuff from my room and she has moved in all her stuff. Neither she has asked my permission, nor there was a discussion, nor there was an emergency. She again is harassing me and I escalated the issue to the LL. can I get an order of protection now? I don't know what is missing I don't feel safe at home anymore. Is this legal ? Pls advise. She dumped all my stuff in another room which included opening my suit cases etc
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
She is committing an unlawful eviction and this is grounds to sue for breach of lease and seek damages. Also, in conjunction with that suit it is grounds to file for a temporary restraining order/order of protection keeping her away from your property and harassing you.
You would need to file both against her and seek damages. If you find anything missing you can sue her for that lost property as well as part of your illegal eviction suit.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How long does it take to get a restraining order

Thank you for your reply. I sincerely ***** ***** the delay, I am outside the US on a client matter and the internet here is awful.

You can get the restraining order filed in a day and served within the same or next day or two depending on how long it takes the sheriff to find the person to serve them.