Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

If you go to pay your rent in person and your landlord's

Customer Question

If you go to pay your rent in person and your landlord's office is located in his bedroom and he answer's his door in his underwear and proceeds to come down the stairs as the said tenant is disabled and cannot climb the stairs (wheelchair bound) but said land lord proceeds to sit in a chair and his penis hangs out he just sits their and acts like he dosen't know, what right's do I have? He was clearly exposing himself.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what are my rights" or "what are my options" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Also what state is this in? What gender are you? Age?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Washington State Females ages 30-61 (4 females)

And what specific question can I assist with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My phone is not a smart phone so can you respond on *********

I'm sorry, I only do questions in this format. If you need a phone call you can use the Additional Services button to post a request for one and another expert will make the call.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We just asked you to text to another number that's all, thanks!

I'm not sure how to do that. If you would, there is a link or a button on your screen for Customer Service or Customer Help. If you would click on that then they can tell you how to do whatever it is you need done. The expert's screens don't look like the customers and the experts don' really have any control over anything like where the messages, go, etc.

In the meantime, I can tell you that the landlord has almost certainly broken the Washington law against Indecent Exposure. The statute states:

RCW 9A.88.010
Indecent exposure.
(1) A person is guilty of indecent exposure if he or she intentionally makes any open and obscene exposure of his or her person or the person of another knowing that such conduct is likely to cause reasonable affront or alarm. The act of breastfeeding or expressing breast milk is not indecent exposure.
(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) and (c) of this subsection, indecent exposure is a misdemeanor.
(b) Indecent exposure is a gross misdemeanor on the first offense if the person exposes himself or herself to a person under the age of fourteen years.
(c) Indecent exposure is a class C felony if the person has previously been convicted under this section or of a sex offense as defined in RCW 9.94A.030.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is the law against a office in his bed room

There is no law about him having an office in his bedroom.

However, the unique thing about Washington is that Indecent Exposure can occur anywhere. It focuses on showing themselves to another person without regard to where they are. All that is required is that they know their conduct is likely to shock the other person, which this obviously did.

I don't see any doubt about whether they will charge him or convict him. It's pretty clear.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

I am about to go offline for tonight. I will be back in the morning so if you have any additional questions please feel free to ask them in this thread.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you classify a landlord's bedroom as an office when it's not an office setting but a bedroom

Yes, they can call it an office if they like. There are no laws that control that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Even if he is dressed inappropriately

Yes, his dressing like that would be illegal but it has nothing to do with whether or not that is his office.

As I mentioned in the other question thread, if you file a police report and they convict him for indecent exposure (which they likely will) then he will be a sex offender, have to register, etc. The judge will also likely forbid him from operating an office in his house, etc.

I really do have to sign off now. I will be back first thing in the morning.