barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I own a six unit apartment complex. There are three families

Customer Question

I own a six unit apartment complex. There are three families that are related that occupy three of the apartments. Mother in One, daughter and her husband in one and another daughter and her children in another. Recently I had a young couple move in. From the start there was a feud building only between the new tenant and these 3 family members tenants. The new tenant is extremely clean and began complaining of the children running back and forth outdoors and leaving trash on the premises (popsicle sticks, gum wrappers ). She asked one of the kids to pick up there wrappers and put them in the trash and the feud was on. The mother of the child went over and there was yelling. I was called.....Then the "clean" tenant waters down the walkway and of course some sprinkles gets on the other tenants cars there was more yelling and screaming and I was called. All issues seem pretty petty to me. I have told them to work it out and be respectful of each other of the children and the property. But the daily phone calls continue. "I heard her say something about me under her voice" She left a coke can on the driveway". They walked by my apartment talking too loud" She watered the sidewalks and my kids couldn't go out to play....on and on nd on I get calls daily. HELP how involved am I required to be in these petty feuds and what is my responsibility by law. Can I just continue to say work it out and leave me out of it.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

how involved am I required to be in these petty feuds and what is my responsibility by law. Can I just continue to say work it out and leave me out of it.

.

As the landlord, your duty to the tenants is to provide a habitable dwelling that meets all minimum code and housing statutory requirements, but that is about it. So you have no duty at all to intervene in their squabbles and be the referee.

.

Having been a landlord myself for over 26 years, I always tell tenants that I don't get involved in tenant disputes like this and if they have issues then they either need to work them out themselves, don't interact with each other, or call the police if they think the other person is violating the law.

.

I refuse to get involved in these disputes because it simply eats up your time and there is zero return on that investment..

.

So I would suggest that you take the same approach and notify both sides independently that you aren't going to take sides in their disputes and if they can't work it out, to call the police if they feel the other person is violating their rights.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Perfect that is what I was hoping to hear. My tenant keeps saying you are the landlord you have to do something. So she got me thinking...legally do I have to do something. But now I know, I will follow your suggestion which is basically what I have been doing. Thank you for your response and reassurance.

Nope, you don't have to intervene. You can simply tell them that they are all adults so they need to work out their differences themselves or simply don't have any contact with the other party if they can't be civil and leave it at that..

.

You are very welcome. Glad to help a fellow landlord any time.

.

.

thanks