Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My son is going to school studying engineering at UC

Customer Question

Hi, My son is going to school studying engineering at UC Berkeley CA.
He and 4 pother roommate is rent a two bedroom apartment with contract move in date Jun 01. When he move in on Jun 01, the apartment is not in move in condition. We found some many defect. Example: few electrical outlet have no power, the class door is demage, and the carpet are still so dirty. The kitchen sink disposal is not working, some electronic box is expose without cover. we point out some important items to landlord and we still working on the move in check list, the landlord did not hire license electrical technician to fix the electric outlet but he come to fix by himself. WE have more concern about tis apartment, so we hire home inspector to inspect the apartment. The report give us a list of more issues. Including the asbestos present in the electrical outlet that was fixed by the landlord itself, we find Mold in one of the bedroom. and many others.
We don't want to the landlord tenant laws special landlord rented the apartment with no prepare clean, safe for tenant on the date move in but even we found the problem, he just come to fix by himself where the asbestos is persent. Now I do concern about my son (tenant) live in this appartment expose to Mold, asbstors and other danger materials. what is Tenant right? what should we do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what are my rights", or "what should I do", or "what are my options" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.