Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

About 6 months ago my rent was late by 11 days due to a

Customer Question

About 6 months ago my rent was late by 11 days due to a family emergency. My landlord chose to have a lawyer draft a Demand for Rent and have me served. I paid my overdue rent 24 hours prior to being served & having no knowledge of this action before I had been served. Thankfully, I am moving from there however today my landlord informs me that he intends to subtract the lawyers fee from my security. As far as the condition I left the rental home, it was in better condition than when I took occupancy. Can helegally hold me responsible for that fee?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Does the lease provide that you are liable for the landlord's attorney fees?

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

If the lease provides for the payment of attorney fees then the landlord can recover them from you. If the lease does not provide that then he can not.