Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

We are currently renting (Ohio), property owner passed away,

Customer Question

We are currently renting (Ohio), property owner passed away, property is being sold at auction. Are we required by law to allow prospective buyers to see the house?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

There is no law that would require you to allow people in if they just knock on the door and ask to take a look. Ohio Rev. Code, Section 5321.05 provides that a tenant must allow a landlord access to leased premises in order to show the place to prospective purchasers. However, since the landlord has passed away, he can't ask to enter, and he can't give you notice. The executor of the estate could request access, but if he doesn't give you reasonable notice, you could say no. And you could actually insist they give you proof that ownership of the house has been transferred into the estate before opening the door. Tenants have a right to quiet enjoyment of leased premises and that means you can only be required to let strangers in when the statute specifically requires it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any more questions about this?