Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

How much notice is a landlord require to give before showing

Customer Question

How much notice is a landlord require to give before showing my place to prospective buyers?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Notice requirements vary by state. Where do you live?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Suffolk Va

Thank you.

What the statute says is that the landlord must give notice before entering to show the place to prospective buyers, unless it is impractical to do so. 24 hours notice is required to do repairs, but not to do showings - there isn't a set time limit before entering to show the place. Code of Virginia, Section 55-248.18. Note that if you're in a single-family residence and the owners do not lease more than two single-family residences, that statute doesn't apply. See Section 55-248.5. However, they gave at least 24 hours notice, that would probably be considered reasonable.

Check your lease to see if it gives you any additional protections. A landlord who is coming in to show the place with no notice at all could be subject to an injunction requiring them to stay out or start giving notice.

Did you have any other questions about this?