TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I was renting a house in Suffolk Va. The seller decided to

Customer Question

I was renting a house in Suffolk Va. The seller decided to sell the house and we did not receive a written notification of their intent to sell. I found out when I received a knock on my door by a Real Estate Agent wanting to show the house. My wife and I submitted and letter to Rose and Wobble of our intent to move in 60 days. We submitted our letter on Jan 4, 2016. My lease was not up until the end of March. Rose and Wobble wants to hold me liable for March’s rent. What are my rights by the law?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Ordinarily, the fact that the landlord opted to sell his house would not allow a tenant to terminate the lease. Moreover, written notification from the landlord would not ordinarily be required. Accordingly, based upon what you wrote, it would indeed seem that you would owe rent for March.

Bear in mind, of course, that I haven't seen your lease, and your lease may state that you have the right to terminate your lease if your landlord opts to sell the house, or fails to provide notice of such decision. If so, that would change my answer. That said, I have never seen a lease with either of those requirements.

I am truly sorry that my answer may be bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!