rayanswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a Texas lawyer dealing in landlord tenant

If tenant moved in and changed the light fixtures 10 years

Customer Question

If tenant moved in and changed the light fixtures 10 years ago and now she is moving out can she take the lights down I dont know what happened to the old lights this is a two family house and I live down stairs. I dont want someone touching the electric if they are not and electrition
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  rayanswers replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

You have right as landlord tot ell her either she leaves the fixtures or you will deduct the costs of replacement from her security deposit.I agree here that this is a fixture since she had it installed in the rental.And if she removes them then deduct the security funds for the costs of new ones and installation.I would go on and tell her now that you will deduct for replacement if she removes them as they are considered fixtures once installed here.

I think this is your next move to put her on notice that you will charge her if she follow through on this.As landlord you are within your rights to do so.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.