Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants

My landlord allowed a debt collector into the apartment I

Customer Question

My landlord allowed a debt collector into the apartment I currently rent, to take pic's of my properties. Isn't this in some way a violation of my rights as a tenant?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 months ago.

Yes it is. Your lease most likely contains a "quiet enjoyment" clause which says that the landlord will not interfere with your exclusive right to possession of the leased property. You may have a claim for damages against the landlord for doing so. Unfortunately, there is no automatic statutory damages, so you would have to prove monetary loss by virtue of what he did. The lawyers probably plan to seize your personal property to force you to pay the judgment. That's a pretty brazen collection tactic, but not illegal to the best of my knowledge.

If you have no further follow-up questions, please enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.